Ronald Mann: portraits, interiors, slide projection photography
Ronald Mann (1943 – 2023)
Art by Ronald Mann
Art Type or Medium: Painting
Viewable: by appointment
Secular or Religious: Secular with Religious aspects
Ronald Mann was a self-taught Vietnam veteran artist. His wife was an amateur painter, and after returning from the war with un-diganosed PTSD, Ron started to make paintings using her leftover materials.
He had no background or training in art, and remains uninterested in art history or the contemporary artworld. A form of self-therapy, every painting addresses specific memories and emotions that range from combat recollections, the personal traumas of friends and family, to broad historical events such as the Oklahoma City bombing, famine in Africa, or the American Civil War.
The paintings are personal emotional wound dressings, and he doesn’t offer any for sale. In recent years Ron has done extensive photography of slide projections of his paintings onto other paintings and human subjects. This re-photographic process process further expands the meaning and personal context of his work.
- Art Environments - Midwest | Photos by Fred Scruton
- News & Events: Article on Ron Mann in The Flint Journal
- News & Events: Ron Mann Video at Outsider Fair
- News & Events: Ronald Mann featured in Raw Vision Magazine
- News & Events: The Art of Resistance: Veterans Respond Visually to War – Exhibition